Opening Times This Year


The museum is open from 10am 5pm all year, with weekends by appointment only.  Special opening arrangements can be made by prior booking through 00 353 (0)74 9722655.  From time to time we run special model railway shows or Open Days.  It is likely we will run one on site at the Donegal Railway Heritage Centre in late August, and possible others off-site based in hotels around the County.  We are also famous for our generous Santa who has visited the station on specific weekends in December every Christmas since 2000.

County Donegal Railway Restoration Limited

The Old Station House

Tírconaill Street

Donegal Town

Tel      ++ 353 (0) 74 9722655

Fax      ++ 353 (0) 74 9723843

Email   donegalrailway@gmail.com

Web    http://www.donegalrailway.com

Raphoe Station on Saturday 15th August 1959, with Class 5A Blanche departing with the 4.5pm goods from Strabane to Letterkenny.  Photo taken by John Langford from Railcar 16 and Coach 40 standing in the goods yard loop.  While the station building has been demolished – despite local efforts to save it – the crossing cottage at the far right of the photo still stands.

January 2014

February 2014
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 1
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
26 27 28 29 30 31 23 24 25 26 27 28

Typesetting and production by Neil Tee.  Copyright © CDRRL

County Donegal Railway Restoration Limited

The Old Station House

Tírconaill Street

Donegal Town

Tel      ++ 353 (0) 74 9722655

Fax      ++ 353 (0) 74 9723843

Email   donegalrailway@gmail.com

Web    http://www.donegalrailway.com

Two interesting CDR vehicles photographed by John Langford at Strabane on Friday 14th August 1959.  Trailer No 3, ex-Dublin & Blessington Steam Tramway Railcar, and Coach No 58, an ex-LMS Ballymena & Larne section luxury boat train coach.  No 3 came to the CDR as a motorised vehicle, though spent its later years as a non-motorised trailer.  It survives in the museum at Cultra, while Coach 58’s body, found in two sections in different parts of County Donegal, has been restored at the Donegal Railway Heritage Centre.

March 2014

April 2014
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat
30 31 1 1 2 3 4 5
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 27 28 29 30

Typesetting and production by Neil Tee.  Copyright © CDRRL

County Donegal Railway Restoration Limited

The Old Station House

Tírconaill Street

Donegal Town

Tel      ++ 353 (0) 74 9722655

Fax      ++ 353 (0) 74 9723843

Email   donegalrailway@gmail.com

Web    http://www.donegalrailway.com

A photo from CDRRL archives of Stranorlar Station seen when arriving from the east.  Stranorlar was the HQ of the CDR and the station possessed a clock tower and platform canopies as seen here, the latter supported by decorative cast iron stanchions.  The platform bay on the right was normally used for storing coaches as there was no carriage shed as such, although off picture there were numerous sheds and buildings to deal with goods in transit and with loco storage and loco and wagon repairs.  There was a further platform to the left linked to the island platform by a substantial footbridge.  The station lasted a good few years following the railway’s 1959 closure but was finally demolished, perhaps through lack of the perceived heritage value, in the 1980s.

County Donegal Railway Restoration Limited

The Old Station House

Tírconaill Street

Donegal Town

Tel      ++ 353 (0) 74 9722655

Fax      ++ 353 (0) 74 9723843

Email   donegalrailway@gmail.com

Web    http://www.donegalrailway.com

Railcar No 19 waiting to leave Strabane for Letterkenny.  Diesel shunter Phœnix, on left, is to attach Red Van No 10 to the rear of the Railcar.  Similar Red Van No 12 has been rescued from a garden in Castlefin, and restored actually using parts of Red Van No 10 found in a field near Strabane.  Red Van 12 is at the Donegal Railway Heritage Centre.  Railcar No 19 and twin No 20 survive, though out of use, on the Isle of Man.  Photo by John Langford.

July 2014

August 2014
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 31 1 2
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
20 21 22 23 24 25 26 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
27 28 29 30 31 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

5

Typesetting and production by Neil Tee.  Copyright © CDRRL

County Donegal Railway Restoration Limited

The Old Station House

Tírconaill Street

Donegal Town

Tel      ++ 353 (0) 74 9722655

Fax      ++ 353 (0) 74 9723843

Email   donegalrailway@gmail.com

Web    http://www.donegalrailway.com

September 2014

October 2014
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
28 29 30 26 27 28 29 30 31

A panorama of Strabane Station in September 1964 a few months before closure of the GNR station.  The CDR rolling stock lined up for the Dr Cox purchase that never reached the USA, then still in good condition, stands on the old narrow gauge trackbed,  In centre are locomotives Meenglas (facing Derry to the left) and Drumboe, then a selection of coaches, from left to right 12, 17, 47, 40 and 56.  Photo by the late Alan Tee.

Typesetting and production by Neil Tee.  Copyright © CDRRL

County Donegal Railway Restoration Limited

The Old Station House

Tírconaill Street

Donegal Town

Tel      ++ 353 (0) 74 9722655

Fax      ++ 353 (0) 74 9723843

Email   donegalrailway@gmail.com

Web    http://www.donegalrailway.com

Unexpected snow in December 2010 covers the old station garden at Donegal Town.  Restored Railcar Trailer 5, originally built in 1929 to increase capacity of trains hauled by railcars, is on the left draped with Christmas lights and restored Red Van 12 is on the right.  Photo taken by Neil Tee from the balcony constructed alongside restored Coach 28 and Grey Van 84 which are reached by a ramp for easy access for all visitors, including wheelchair bound.